One of my heroes has passed away, but through his books, Terry Pratchett will live on. In my sense of humour, in my literary frame of reference and in the way that I view the world, he will always be there.
Thank you Mr Pratchett, for giving me a reason to read.
To celebrate his life, I figured I would share some of my favourite Pratchett quotes. There are many, many more. For now however, in no particular order, here’s 10 of them:
- “It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it’s called Life.” [The Last Continent]
- “Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
- “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” [Reaper Man]
- “I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it.”
- “Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” [Hogfather]
- “Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It’s the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” [Eric]
- “The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it.” [Monstrous Regiment]
- “Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I could be wrong.”
- “There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this.”
- “Just because you can explain it doesn’t mean it’s not still a miracle.” [Small Gods]
This is the part where I have to say something like “What is your favourite Pratchett quote?” or such to get you to comment. Honestly though, at this moment I am too damn sad to even care whether or not you even read this.
Rather read one of Terry Pratchett’s books, it’s better than my drivel.