I did not want to write this post, or any other post of this nature. Ever.
You see, this touches on a subject that delves into speculation. It is bound to be subjective no matter how hard one tries to be objective. And, most of all, I find posts like these akin to gossip tabloids (eeew). I mean, what’s next? Do I have to start writing about what who wore, and who broke up with who? *pukes*
But, over the recent long weekend, so many silly people asked me for my opinion, that I decided to formulate one, so here it is:
Jason (Hinch) vs Jason (Oosthuizen)
Hinch is out of The Black Cat Bones, and Oosthuizen (ex-Van Coke Kartel) is in.
I find the Black Cat Bones to be one of my favourite bands, locally and internationally. I love their music, love the band and generally love the type of people that appreciate their music.
The fact that they now have a new drummer, is rather inconsequential. Did Hinch play an important part in the band? YES! Did he play a pivotal part? Sadly, no. Is he a great drummer? Nope, he is a BRILLIANT drummer.
I believe that the Bones’ sound did benefit from having Hinch there, just as it will benefit from having Oosthuizen in the mix. It’s not like they will suddenly start sounding like Van Coke Kartel.
I actually only have the following messages for these people (and if they read this, awesome):
- Jason Hinch: You are a trooper. A brilliant drummer. Do not let this minor setback get you down. I believe you have it in you to become one of the most respected drummers SA has ever had!
- Jason Oosthuizen: Welcome to The Bones. I look forward to rocking out with you at many gigs to come (just need to convert you to Jose Cuervonism)
- Black Cat Bones: Guys, thank you for the music. Coz that’s all that matters.
- The one doos that tried to get me to hate BCB now coz of the change: You sir, are a prat, and nothing better than a fickle pop fan. Please FOAD.
- To everyone else: Let’s just love the music, and let the band take care of the business.
In the end, if the super hot girl/guy you like decide to paint her/his house a colour you hate, will this make that person less sexy? I doubt it. So the same here.
Now I honestly don’t know why you are still reading this, rather go listen to some music or have a tequila.