I have decided to officially add a new category to my blog: Prose and Poetry.
This will feature creative writings by me, some by my friends and possibly even by strangers or famous people. It will probably end up being in Afrikaans and English, and as soon as I learn another language or 3, possibly in that too.
What’s the big difference between prose and poetry? Let this quote explain:
“When you write in prose, you cook the rice. When you write poetry, you turn rice into rice wine. Cooked rice doesn’t change its shape, but rice wine changes both in quality and shape. Cooked rice makes one full so one can live out one’s life span . . . wine, on the other hand, makes one drunk, makes the sad happy, and the happy sad. Its effect is sublimely beyond explanation.” – Wu Qiao
Why do I like it?
I am a creative being, yet I cannot draw nice pictures or dance or even actually sing unless I’m slightly inebriated and my audience even more so. Hence, I turn to words to have some release for the pent up creative urges I sometimes get.
Am I any good?
Yes, no, I don’t know and I don’t care. What is good? What is bad? It’s art, it’s not, it’s words, it’s life, it’s meaningless it’s life-changing. Squirrel.
My standard disclaimer:
The following points are important, and any subsequent writings I post should be read bearing them in mind:
- I don’t take my writing too seriously.
- Ek noem my gedigte rympies, deels om pretentious poets af te pis, en deels omdat ek nie omgee wat dit genoem word nie.
- I am a hypocrite. I rarely read poetry, I find most poems dull and pretentious.
- When I do read poetry, and I like it, don’t ask me why. It’s art, it needs no reason. Yet, I might still give you a reason. Refer to the point about me being a hypocrite.
- I seldom, nay never, write anything without meaning. I do not, however, expect it to have the same meaning to you.
- Should you find meaning in my written work, please let me know.
- Sometimes I write something, but it’s not by me. It’s by an imaginary person. So don’t think I always personally endorse what I say.
- Your criticism is welcome, and I genuinely do appreciate any feedback. I also don’t give a fuck about it, but still, it’s appreciated.
- Lastly, everything I write belongs to me, but it belongs to everyone. It’s just words. Share it as much as you like, but if you use it to make money, don’t be a douche, cut me in on the deal.
Now you have the general idea.
I get the feeling this is probably going to be the last English post in this new category for a while.
Thank you for reading.